- Georgiana Maries´ PhD thesis will be awarded the exceptional dissertation of 2020 award 2021-01-20
- Researching the monsoon 2021-01-19
- Sweden’s basement rock could become a future key source of sustainable energy 2021-01-18
- Gabriele Messori Winner of the Emerging Alumni Leader Award 2021 2021-01-12
- Large research grant goes to project researching the earliest human expansion into Asia 2020-12-17
- 3 million Swedish Kronor in grant to project focusing on Water-Energy-Food-Ecosystem 2020-12-16
Watch our film
Are you interested in our planet, its evolution through time, the environment and a sustainable future? At the Department of Earth Sciences you learn about the processes and events that have built and continue to shape the conditions of Earth. Using this as a point of departure for understanding the complex world we live in, and how we effect it, is one of the great challenges of mankind.
Our research ranges from the Earth's core to the atmosphere, from microscopic minerals and fossils to the formation of mountains and oceans, and in time from the formation of the Earth up to the processes currently reshaping the planet. We map the development of Earth and life over billions of years and study the relationship between the atmosphere and the oceans with regard to climate change and sustainable development.